Go Back: Virtual Middle School Library Home / Web Sites for Students Menu /Science Menu/ Plants
- Plants: Biology for Kids - Look at the plant slideshow for an introduction to the many kinds of plants in the world.
- Plants: Just for Kids - Find out about the secret life of trees, where food comes from, what earthworms do, and take the Great Plant Escape. From the University of Illinois Extension.
- Plants for Kids - This site has games, plant information, quizzes, and science fair activities.
- The Algae Home Page - An
introduction to algae. From the Smithsonian Institution.
- Microorganisms - Learn about fungi here. This site is by the Children's University of Manchester.
- Loveable Lichens - Lichens are a combination of algae and fungi. Find out more about them at this site.
- Living With Mosses - Learn about mosses. You may even find them living on sidewalks and concrete.
- Ferns and Horsetails - The first plants to develop a circulatory system to deliver food and water to all parts of the plants.
- Dr. Arbor Talks Trees - Dr. Arbor will explain to you how trees work. There is also a state tree gallery.
- What Tree is it? - Guide to tree
- How to Make a Leaf Collection - Collecting leaves is a good way to start in nature study. Trees don't run away, and usually have enough leaves so that they can part with one without pain.
- Why Leaves Change Color? - and why do they fall off of the tree?
- Why Leaves Change Color - A video from the state if Maine.
- A Walk in the Woods - Take a virtual walk in the woods. This site is
for 3rd to 5th grade students, but even if you are older, you may enjoy this walk. From the University of Illinois Extension.
- Wildflowers in Bloom - Photos and
information about American wildflowers.
- Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Information Center - Make sure that you can
identify and stay away from these poisonous plants!
- Southeastern Desert Wildflowers - Pictures and information about the wildflowers of the Arizona desert.
- The Digital Desert - Information about the animals and plants of the Mohave desert.
- CactiGuide - Find out more about cactuses (cacti).
- The Great Plant Escape - Learn about plants
with Detective Sprout. This is a good way to study for that test on plants.
- Plants in Motion - If you
think that plants don't move, take a look at this site.
- Photosynthesis - This is how plants get something to eat.
- The Flying Turtle Science and Technology Exploration Site -
Look here for a good explanation of how photosynthesis works and why energy is important to both plants and
- Gardening With Children - Projects for your garden from BBC.
- Grow Your Own miniature garden - How to make a terrarium. By the National Geographic.
- How to Grow an Avocado Tree from an Avocado Pit - Yes, you can.
- Activities and Crafts about Plants - Things to make, and a plant dictionary. From Enchanted Learning.
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, school librarian (retired). Please address any
comments, additions, or corrections to email@example.com.