Resources for School Librarians - Index
Demonstrating the Importance of School Libraries
These sites are useful when it becomes necessary to have a chat with your administrator about
the role of the library.
Up to Top
- Advocate This, Not That - Which topics to emphasize when talking to principals and other administrators. This is an article by Jonathan Hunt in School Library Journal, January, 2018.
- School Libraries Work
- A compilation of research on school libraries by Scholastic. This is in pdf format.
- School Library Impact Studies - There is a useful infographic on the effectiveness of school library programs and links to many research studies. By Library Research Service.
- A Pre-service Toolkit for Principles and Teachers - From the AASL. A list of resources to inform principals and teachers about the functions of the school librarian. March, 2016.
- School Library: Purpose - Strong statements on the role of school libraries from the Service to Schools of the National Library of New Zealand.
- A Full-time School Librarian Makes a Critical Difference in Boosting Student Achievement - A study reported by Debra E. Kachel and Keith Curry Lance in School Library Journal, March, 2013.
- AASL Position Statements - On diversity, library staffing, the role of the school librarian, and others.
- AASL Toolkits - Materials which will help you to promote your library.
- A 13 Point Library Media Program Checklist for School Principals - How does your library measure up? This checklist is by Doug Johnson and was written in 2009.
- How Does Your Boss See You? Proof that Principals Value Librarians - An article by By Tricia Kuon and Holly Weimar in School Library Journal, Sept. 4, 2012.
- Creating a Culture of Literacy - A handbook for principals to assist in the development of literacy in their middle and high schools. This handbook is in pdf form.
- Add it Up - Talking points in support of library services for children in both school and public libraries. By the American Library Association.
- The Teacher Librarian's Toolkit for Evidence Based Practice - A very practical guide to gathering the evidence of the hard work that you put in and the student success which results. By the Ontario Library Association.
- Outdated School Libraries: What
Can You Do to Update Yours - An article for school administrators from Education World.
- Studies on the Effectiveness of School Libraries - Many studies have been done on the effect of school libraries on student achievement.
- SLJ's Average Book Prices 2018 - How much it costs to purchase new books. From School Library Journal, March, 2018.
- Big Fish, Small Budgets: Insights from SLJ's 2017 Spending Survey by Linda Jacobson. From School Library Journal, March, 2018.
- On The Rebound: SLJ Spending Survey, 2016 by Lauren Barack. Budgets are up 20%, yet budget challenges still remain. School Library Journal, April, 2016.
- School Librarians are Doing More With Less - an article on school library budgets by Lauren Barack in School Library Journal, April, 2014.
- Student Achievement and the School Library Media Program - Facts at a glance by School Library Systems Association of New York State, 2006. This is in pdf format.
- The Laura Bush Foundation for America's Libraries
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, retired school librarian,
Philadelphia, PA. Please address any comments, additions, or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.